History of the Nickerson Mansion: 1963
Above: Mr. Nickerson's bedroom being used as an office
The Nickerson Mansion in the late-20th Century
Chicago Daily Tribune, October 30, 1955.
Surgeons Unit Home Recalls Chicago’s Past: Former ‘Marble Palace’ Retains Glories
That quaint device, the welcome mat, does not show outside the aging, soot darkened building at 40 E. Erie st.
Perhaps the most phenomenal achievement in the college’s occupation of the building, which was a gift from admiring Chicago leaders and citizens, is its use as a business center. No walls have been torn down to make way for desks or switchboard. Instead, the modern workpieces have been installed carefully, so as to let the aura of the old mansion remain intact.Back